Pages

Thursday 17 January 2013

A Review of Captive in the dark by CJ Roberts





Caleb is a sex-slave trainer whose plan for revenge involves kidnapping a beautiful young American virgin to train for auction. Olivia wakes to find herself kidnapped by Caleb whom she is unwillingly attracted to despite her fear.

The hardest thing about reviewing any book is remembering how subjective the reading experience is. This is why I always have the 'is it for you' section. There is a big difference for me between saying a book is poorly written/executed and saying I didn't enjoy it. On one hand, I couldn't stop reading this (a clear sign of a great book), but at the same time I did not want to. In fairness maybe I should have expected what was coming when the book clearly indicates it is about the sex trafficking trade, and constrains disturbing situations but I was still shocked by the brutality. 

I read a few reviews where people said things like "really sexy sex scenes", or described it as BDSM. I find this misleading. I have read quite a bit of BDSM and the motto of the BDSM community is "Safe, Sane, and CONSENSUAL". Even if characters don't always enjoy what is happening in BDSM, it is a far cry from non-consensual rape. I just feel it is important to make that distinction to anyone who may read this. It is very dark erotica.

The heroine Olivia is tortured and sodomised against her will by Caleb. While at times she is forced to feel pleasure, for the most part she is distressed, afraid and unwilling. While this is a 'deal breaker' for me in terms of investing in the romance, it was a roller-coaster ride of emotion that had me desperate to find out what would happen to Olivia. 

What this book does have going for it is Olivia's reactions were actually very believable. It is not one of those books where when the heroine actually really enjoys her capture and just resists for the sake of pride. You get the whole spectrum of emotion here. 

I won't say don't read this, I won't say you won't enjoy it. Just be prepared.


Is it for you?
IF YOU LOVE: Erotica that blurs the lines. If you like your erotic extra dark and your hero's more screwed up than Christian Grey then you may enjoy this.

IF YOU HATE: Non-Consensual sex. Abusive relationships, torture, and horror themes avoid this.

Rating = 3.5 out of 5
Characters 4/5
Plot 3/5
Voice 4/5
LOVE factor 3/5


http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/497983808

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a not-your-typical book for me. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete